Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Comment on the Recent Bombings

On July 11, the Somalian group al-Shabab set off two bombs around Kampala, the capital, killing 74. Kampala is located over one hundred miles from the small-town where I will be, and will host the African Union summit next week, which is why Kampala was targeted. I will not arrive in Uganda for several months, and I plan to see it through to completion.

Kamuli is a much smaller town, and a very unlikely target, so there is little reason to be concerned about safety (aside from the usual diseases, petty crime, animals, etc). Additionally, the State Department only has issued travel warnings up through the AU summit next week, as they believe that Kampala will become more stabile in the following weeks.

Terrorism happens everywhere, and no nation will ever be fully able to stop it. Uganda doesn't have the resources or strength in the government to deal with crime as effectively as America, but I think it's important that I don't let that fact scare me away from my goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment